International windsurfing events
You can keep up to date with all the developments from upcoming European and World Championships here.
The European T293 Championships are being held on Lake Garda in Italy, at Nago-Torbole, between the 9th and the 15th of April 2023.
You can find out more about the event, the venue, and how to enter here: https://europeans2023.techno293.org/
The T293 and T293+ World Championships commence in Quiberon, in Brittany in France, on the 29th July 2023.
You can find out more about the World Championships here: https://internationalwindsurfing.com/events/
KIT LIST FOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Charter kit (Sail, boom, mast and extension, and boards with 6 foot straps - comes with one UJ).
Note: If you take out ropes and collars and other such things that you won't use from the boom or mast extension, please keep them safe so you can put back when you return kit.
When your charter kit is issued, please do not lose sail bags or fin covers as you will be expected to return kit in original bags and covers. So it is a good idea to ID everything maybe using a permanent or whiteboard marker!!!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO GO WITH YOUR CHARTER KIT
- Adjustable outhaul system (with foam packing and self-amalgamating tape for cleats)
- Formuline for the boom front end (pre-cut and burnt)
- Adjustable downhaul (plus a spare pair optional)
- Harness lines (plus a spare pair optional)
- Spare UJ
- Tape to cover D piece
- Sail numbers
Tool box (See photo of tool selection sent separately, do not carry in hand luggage)
1 allen key and 1 large cross-head screw driver, scissors or pocket knife, easy rig puller, permanent marker pen (to mark kit), electrical tape, tape measure (if using Charter kit)
Collective Tool Box (1 between 2):
- 1 Watertight tool bag
- Board repair - 2 part epoxy, glass fibre, solarez, doctor ding, masking tape, cling film
- Knife, scissors, mole grips & plyers
- Sail repair tape, duct tape, electrical tape etc. as appropriate
- Assortment of rope including 6mm excel racing and formuline
- Silicon spray (Screwfix do a small can for £2.96 FloPlast Silicone Spray 40ml)
- Assortment of sandpaper
THESE ARE THE OTHER KEY ITEMS YOU WILL NEED ON AND OFF THE WATER
- BA with whistle (important for BA that weight on buoyancy aid is appropriate for sailor weight)
- Harness with tow rope (5m)
- Race watch
- Wetsuits appropriate to the conditions
- Lycra or wetsuit shorts
- Sunguard rash vest
- Hat or visor
- Wetsuit boots (in case you cut your feet)
- Towel robe for quick changing
- 1 Boat bag (that can be sailed to the race site and is watertight)
- Water Bottles (for boat bag and shoreside)
- 1 Day bag for lunch, water, clothes and rigging tools (ruck sack)
- Sun tan lotion
IT IS ADVISABLE TO BRING SOME ESSENTIAL SPARES AS TEAM
- D piece
- T pieces
- Spare Battens if you have them (there may be a shop so these can be bought but not a guarantee)
- A set of fin bolts with washers (optional)
- One roll of sail repair tape or Gorilla Tape*
Charter Kit Tips
Make sure you fully inspect kit on receipt and point out any damage to the organisation. Take photographs of the rig adjustables with a tape measure visible so you can put adjustables on the kit in the same places on your own kit. Take photos of footstrap positions to assist fitting as per own kit.
It is worth considering specific sporting food requirements for your sailor. Hydro tabs are worth considering along with energy gels for on the water and also any specifics for their boat bags such as protein bars etc. It must be remembered that the sailors are subject to WADA (World Anti-Doping Association) regulations and could be tested (not seen in recent years). Because of potential WADA inspections if your sailor is taking medication bring a copy of their prescription.
You will need to prove 3rd party Insurance at registration and UKWA certificate is sufficient for Europe. RYA Insurance is also acceptable with the sailors' membership cards.
Personal Travel Insurance normally does not cover competition so you might need to take out separate insurance to cover you sailor when racing. Bishop Skinner or Noble Insurance are specialised insurers to consult for this specific cover.
Check travel requirements both for entry to the country being visited and for return to UK ensuring any test kits for return are taken out. Insurance for COVID may be an additional requirement as not covered in your normal travel insurance. Finally make sure you have sufficient masks for the trip again depending on mask requirements for travel and in host country.
This list is not exhaustive and if you have any other items you think worth taking please share via the WhatsApp group.